Skip navigation
Contact Us
729 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 8:23 AM by Chris - RSS
Nanda Kumar Newbie 2 posts since
Dec 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 11, 2012 12:15 AM

Informatica basics- Could anyone help me in this?

Hi,

I am beginner and have been practicing Informatica. I have few clarifications; Could anyone help me in this?

1.       What is the need of using the stored procedure transformation? (Not the steps –“How use SP transformation”).

2.       Can you give me one or two scenario for LookUp transformation which uses source table in it? And I can understand the lookup transformation which connects to the target (ex: checking the duplicates in target).

3.       In rank transformation ,if there are duplicate rows in source the output of the same in target is displayed as (Rank :Top)

RankIndex

Col1

Col2

Ram

Sham

Kumar

Reena

Minish

Nanda

In the above transformation output, I have chosen the col1 as rank column .And you can see that if there is duplicate values the RankIndex values are repeated –In this case is there any way or property to change the RankIndex to sequence as below:

RankIndex

Col1

Col2

Ram

Sham

Kumar

Reena

Minish

Nanda

4.       In real time do we calculate the memory explicitly or we can make use of the Auto mode for caching?

5.       I understood that, for scheduling the jobs/workflow there are different tools are used like Autosys, DAC and Tivoli. Can anyone help me in this?

Need some link/Steps to download any scheduling tool?

6.   Is there any way to practice UNIX commands in windows OS?

7.   Please share some document to practice/implement-steps for transformation –XML Parser , XML Generator.

8.   In Informatica 8.1.1 version partitioning is disabled. Is there any way to enable this?

Thanks
Nanda

• Joe . Novice 21 posts since
    Nov 20, 2012
    Dec 11, 2012 4:51 AM (in response to Nanda Kumar)

Some of the answers are as follows:

1. What is the need of using the stored procedure transformation? (Not the steps –“How use SP transformation”).

Here is a slight analogy. You can either make a pizza at home or order pizza from dominoz and eat.

You can either make a pizza at home- Similar to building the business logic in the mapping using various transformations (can be complicated).

order pizza from dominoz- Similar to calling a SP from Informatica mapping, doing all the query at dbase level, fetching the results from there and using it in the mapping. Faster and less complicated process.

5. I understood that, for scheduling the jobs/workflow there are different tools are used like Autosys, DAC and Tivoli. Can anyone help me in this?

Need some link/Steps to download any scheduling tool?

Informatica has an internal wizard for scheduling at workflow manager level. You may also use shell script to schedule a workflow.

6. Is there any way to practice UNIX commands in windows OS?

You can google for websites that host a UNIX environment for practicing shell scripting.

http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=practicing+shell+script+online&oq=practcing+she&gs_l=hp.3.0.0i13l2j0i13i30j0i13i5i30.1966.5385.0.7159.13.13.0.0.0.0.872.4252.3-3j4j1j1.9.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.8wB_dX_a3tI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=4ce0c1ae64947471&bpcl=39650382&biw=1366&bih=673

• Chris - Newbie 7 posts since
    Dec 19, 2012
    Dec 20, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to Nanda Kumar)

2. Can you give me one or two scenario for LookUp transformation which uses source table in it? And I can understand the lookup transformation which connects to the target (ex: checking the duplicates in target).

For lkps and other transformations, you can check out this link, has some good information to help you get started.

http://informaticatutorials-naveen.blogspot.com/

I believe in your question, you are referring to creating a lookup using any source you have imported in.  But my first take I was thinking it as a mapping, and it sounded like you wanted to reuse the source table later as a lookup.  So, I used that for your example question below.  Not sure on that but the above link should help you discover a lot about informatica.

For 'checking the duplicates in target', if you just need to identify which records are duplicates, you could use a lkp on your source and identify these rows, but I think a better choice would be to use an agg transformation.  You could group by to knock out dups, and if you wanted, you could identify through a sum() or some other agg.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points